Sunday, March 17, 2013

90's R&B groups


So I was sitting at home studying for my promotion test and listening to 90's music and I thought about how much music has changed.  I think everyone can agree that music today just isn't the same in all genres as it used to be in the 70's-90's, however right now I'm just going to focus on the 90's.  I may go back later and do the 70's and 80's at a later time.  I'm not knocking the artist of today, because some are hella talented and phenomenal, but one can't help but think how big would they be if some of the artist from previous from decades were still around.  For example would Beyonce' as talented as she is, be considered the best today if Aaliyah had not left so soon, would some of your favorite rappers be as popular as they are had Pac and Biggie not left so soon, or even would people care about Nicki Minaj as much had Left Eye never passed.  I'm not saying they would or wouldn't be but just something to think about.  Anyway I've decided to do a series of post highlighting in my opinion the greatest era of music the 90's.  The first I'm going to do in the series is 90's R&B groups. Enjoy or not. Much love and be blessed. - CJ


90'S R&B is without a doubt, some of the best music ever made.  While the Solo artist were good(and I'll get to them at a later date) a big part of the music wave was R&B groups.  I don't know what really happened to the groups in music, there are some still around, but let's be honest none compare to those of yesteryear's.  In this post I'm going to highlight some of my favorite 90's R&B groups of all time.  I'm going to try and keep the list to maybe ten.  That'll be hard, but I'm going to try.  If you have never heard of these groups or heard any of their music, I STRONGLY encourage you to go to youtube and take a listen to some of their other songs other than the one I post for them and you can thank me later.

without further ado in no particular order let's go down memory lane to the greatest era of music ever

Blackstreet 


Boyz II Men
Easily one of the most successful groups of all time.  II is probably one of my favorite CD's ever, I still listen to it to this day.

Xscape
**Alot of people don't realize that before Tiny was looked as TI's wife and before Kandi was a real housewife of Atlanta they were part of one of the best female groups of all time, Xscape

Jodeci
Your favorite groups favorite group. Jodeci hands down one of if not the best to ever do it.

SWV
S.W.V. Sista's with Voices which is exactly what they were. When you talk about the best, SWV is always in the conversation along with this next group.

En Vogue
Everbody loved them some en vogue back in the day.  There is no way you could do a 90's r&b group tribute without including these ladies.

TLC
One could argue that TLC isn't R&B and are more Hip hop and maybe even pop, but i beg to differ.  Especially if you listen to the Crazy Sexy Cool album.  Either way I couldn't leave them off this list.  In my opinion the greatest Female group of all time(no offense to the Spice Girls who have sold more records, but still can't touch TLC.) RIP Left Eye

**shout out do Alicia Keys for paying tribute to these 3 female groups**
Tribute starts at 2:15

Shai
These dudes did their thing. I remember buying this cassette tape and rewinding this song back and forth

Silk
The group formed by R&B legend Keith Sweat.  I can't say this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure alot of babies were conceived to Silk.

Guy
Before Teddy Riley was doing his thing with Blackstreet, he was in another hit group Guy.


**Umm yeah I'm not stopping at 10, i can't I've entered a zone lol**

112

Dru Hill

Changing Faces

Immature

Total

Brownstone

H-town

Jagged Edge
Thrived in the 2000's but started in the 90's

Allure

Mint Condition


Alright I'll stop at 20, here's a few honorable mentions without the videos and a song you can find them by and give a listen.

AZ-Yet- Last night
II D Extreme- Cry no more
Soul 4 real- Candy rain
702- get it together
Subway- This little game we play
Solo- Heaven, where do you want me to put it
Divine- Lately(one hit wonder but still better than alot out today)
Mista- Blackberry Molasses(Bobby Valentino singing lead before he became known)
U.N.V.- somethings going wrong
Hi-Five- Kissing game
Tony Toni Tone- Anniversary, feels good
After 7 - Ready or Not

Okay that's all I'm done.  I seriously recommend that if anyone is unfamiliar with this music please go to youtube and listen to to these and more of their songs. Trust me you won't regret it and you can thank me later. Oh yeah  I know I left DC off mainly because although their first album came out in 98/99 they really made their name in the 2000's.  Okay that does it for R&B groups, next up I'll do male singers.  Long live the greatest era in music the 90's.

No comments:

Post a Comment